Monday, June 15, 2015

Project: School Literary Magazine




For the past month of May, students in my school district have been staying home, as a result of job action by the school board. With this, I was able to stay home for more than three weeks. During that time, I've embarked on an unexpected journey in creating the school literary magazine, which is a collection of writing, photography and art from students in the school.

Creating this magazine has taught me an incredible lot of things I never would have learned if hadn't taken myself up to such a task. Many parts were put into consideration during the creative process of this magazine. For example, I learned about the importance of font size, margins, the colour and font palette as well as layout and coordination of writing with art. Establishing the theme and aesthetic approach before working on this magazine played a huge role into creating this work. After that, I think everything just really fell into place. These things that I've learned would usually not be incorporated into normal design work that I do, like creative banners and posters.

Being head of the school literary magazine may have been the best thing I've done all year. Here's to more projects like this in the future.












This photo is one of my submissions to this magazine.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Comment